Resident Engineer / Assistant Resident Engineer
Office Location: Salinas, CA
Project Locations (including but not limited to): Counties of San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, Monterey, and San Benito.
Duties: Successful candidate will be responsible to work independently to provide project management, construction management, and contract administration services on various public work projects through the design and construction phases. Will include working closely working with public agencies, public utilities, government agencies, subconsultants, contractors, and construction inspectors. Typical public work projects include the construction of facilities such as concrete flatwork, earthwork and grading, roadways and paving, park improvements, minor structures, storm drains, utilities, and pumps and controls. Project management duties include construction scheduling/sequencing and cost estimating, knowledge of public contract code, and competitive bidding requirements. Candidates must possess progressive experience on public works projects acting as owner’s representative, ensuring contractors compliance with contract documents, experience with materials testing, and have a fundamental understanding of contracts and familiarity with codes and laws governing construction. Must possess the ability to read and interpret construction drawings and specifications and identify discrepancies or conflicts within documents. Typical duties may include:
- Establish and maintain project scopes and budgets
- Management and organization of project documentation through design and construction
- Review of shop drawings, project submittals, and requests for information (RFI’s) for conformance with contract documents
- Develop agendas and facilitate meetings, including Pre-Bid, Pre-Construction, and Weekly Construction Meetings
- Technical knowledge to perform constructability reviews
- Review of construction quantity calculations and progress payments
- Review and accept Contract Change Orders
- Construction project coordination and schedule reviews
- Review Storm water quality protection measures, and may include inspection and reporting
- Conducting construction inspections for public works improvement projects, preparing construction daily reports, and documenting work performed on a daily basis in accordance with the contract documents
- Schedule and coordinate inspection by subconsultants for material and special inspection, construction staking, or with local building departments or designated officials
- Serve as main point of contact for projects with client agencies, develop and maintain relationships, and represents Wallace Group
- Bachelor’s degree in Construction Management, Civil Engineering, or related field;
- Engineer-in-Training (EIT) Certification or work experience in lieu of a degree will be considered;
- To be considered for Resident Engineer position, must possess a valid Professional Engineers (PE) license;
- Working knowledge MS Word, MS Excel, Bluebeam or Adobe PDF, and Procore;
- Knowledge of construction of public works facilities such as concrete flatwork, earthwork and grading, roadways and paving, park improvements, minor structures, storm drains, utilities, pumps and controls, construction scheduling/sequencing and cost estimating, public contract code, competitive bidding, and project management.
- Five to ten years of experience in civil engineering design, project/construction management, or construction inspection.
- Experience in public works construction management, inspection, or working with construction contractors.
- Ability to sit at a desk and use computer with related tools for an average 8 hour work shift. Vision to independently view computer screen or printed materials and graphics.
- Possess mobility to work in an outside setting including construction sites and in traffic for an average 8 hour shift.
- Must be prepared to bend, crouch, lift, and twist to carry out job duties.
- A valid California driver's license and clean driving record are required.
- Hearing and speech skills to effectively communicate in English in person and over the telephone or two-way radio.
- 40 hours per week, or projects specific hours may be available.
- Overnight travel, swing shift, or night work may be required based on project needs.
About Wallace Group: Wallace Group is a reflection of our community. We are active volunteers and leaders in our business and personal communities, and we have a commitment to the long-term health and viability of our built environment.
Like our community, we are diversified, with professionals in Civil & Transportation Engineering, Construction Management, Landscape Architecture, Mechanical Engineering, Planning, Public Works Administration, Surveying / GIS Solutions, and Water Resources. We understand the importance of thoughtful collaboration and coordination in order to deliver meaningful, elegant, and cost-effective design and engineering solutions for the needs of our community.
Since our founding in 1984, our focus and passion has centered on people. We value our long-standing client partnerships and continue to demonstrate integrity, fairness, and reliability to them and amongst our staff. At Wallace Group, our work reflects our Dedication to Service and results in highly implementable, high-quality products and built projects.