Land Surveyor Technician (Technology Focused)
Location: San Luis Obispo, CA
Why be a Surveyor at Wallace Group
From Clayton Bradshaw, PLS, PE, Director of Surveying
As the Director of the Survey Department at Wallace Group, it is my belief that a professional’s growth is crucial to a fulfilling career, and I am committed to creating a work space where everyone has the opportunity for this growth and the rewards it brings. I encourage collaboration and training, and support team members recommendations as they apply to all the services we provide and skillsets we develop, with the intent that this is fulfilled in a rewarding team fashion. The strength of our department is built on the strength and abilities of our team. If your professional goals and ambitions align with this career philosophy, I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss joining our team.
Our need is for an entry-level to mid-level, technology-savvy individual experienced in the field of Land Surveying to fulfil a position that is a combination of office & field oriented work. Wallace Group offers an opportunity to grow within your profession while being well compensated and supported by a robust benefits package. We have a team of surveyors that are excited to embrace and use the changing and emerging technologies of surveying, including terrestrial scanning, mapping by UAV photography and close-range photogrammetry.
The ideal candidate would be self-motivated to learn and teach the existing and emerging Survey industry technologies as they develop. This would include both the hardware and software components of the profession. A desired key to the position success is knowledge of Trimble Business Center and Trimble Access, UAV photogrammetry, 3D point cloud modeling, and the use of these technologies to add value to the company’s deliverables.
- Professionalism with a responsible and ambitious work ethic.
- Participate in the development of existing and developing technologies of the land surveying industry including experience with UAV, Terrestrial, close range photogrammetry, and Trimble office and field software.
- Demonstrate good understanding of surveying techniques.
- Effectively and efficiently use AutoCAD and Civil3D to produce survey maps from survey data.
- Experience in one or more aspects of the hardware and software related to remote sensing, 3D scanning and UAV/terrestrial photogrammetry.
- Good written and verbal communication skills, and the ability to learn and adhere to company Quality Control procedures.
- Office and field duties including drafting of survey maps.
- Will perform field surveys as crew member.
- Exposure to Records of Survey, Legal Descriptions and Boundaries Re-establishments.
- Development and documentation of Survey standards and workflow.
- Bachelor's degree in Land Surveying or related field, and preferred new graduate to five years of progressive experience.
- Demonstrate proficiency in AutoCAD and Civil 3D, and Trimble Business Center and Trimble Access and emerging survey technologies.
- Valid CA driver’s license required.
- Have current or ambition and motivation to possess Land Surveyor-in-Training and/or Engineer-in-Training certification
- FAA remote pilot license for sUAV piloting.
Hours: 40 hours per week. Overnight travel and overtime will be required based on project needs.
Ability to sit at a desk and use computer with related tools for an average 8 hour work shift. Vision to independently view computer screen or printed materials and graphics. Possess mobility to work in an outside setting including construction sites and in traffic for an average 8 hour shift. Must be prepared to bend, crouch, lift and twist to carry out job duties. Lift and carry instruments weighing up to 75 pounds over rough terrain. Perform tasks such as clearing vegetation (including poison oak), digging holes, hiking, and/or pounding stakes with hand tools. Ability to operate motor vehicle. Hearing and speech skills to effectively communicate in English in person and over the telephone or two-way radio.
Send resumes to: firstname.lastname@example.org